Wednesday 23 April 2014

THE ANNOYING KID

Since I can remember I've always wanted a brother. I really don’t know why. I grew up as an only child. I was a “OOPS!!” baby, I think if it wasn't for the “OOPS!!” factor my mom would never even have had a child, so it should be clear that after me my mom didn't want another kid. So our family consisted out of my mom, my dad and obviously me, for a little while anyways. No matter how much I nagged, they would never take me to the little sibling shop to pick out a new baby brother.
Then they split up (not going into details about that today). I was about 9 or 10 when I met my step mom. And then I met her annoying little son, he is four years younger than me, and he annoyed the living shit out of me, I didn't like him much, I liked him because I had to I guess, mostly because at that stage I was a normal 10year old girl and he was a normal 6year old boy, you get the picture? Luckily I only had to see him on holidays when I visited my dad, or on the weekends they actually got me to say yes I would go. So we basically tried to annoy each other as much as possible, we teased each other and hid each other’s stuff, we fought about who gets the best couch, we fought about who gets to drive in the front seat of the car, we pretty much just fought about everything.
At this age I can remember praying that God would send me a baby brother. You know how you always had to make stupid sentences when you were in school; mine usually had something to do with the imaginary baby brother I kept asking God for.
As we got older the annoying kid and I started getting along, we started doing fun stuff together when I visited, we even shared the good couch. I still remember how we would sit in front of the TV with popcorn snuggled up under a blanket on the good couch, we actually started sharing. We still had the occasional fight about the front seat of the car, but I usually won because I was the girl and older, the other times we shared that to, I drive in the front seat to the destination and he drives in front back home. I actually started liking this once annoying kid. We stayed up late playing computer games and watching movies in his room, and somewhere during the night we would fall asleep on his bed one by one. We smoked around the corner of the house and hoped no one would catch us. I started covering his ass when he got into shit and well he did the same for me. We started sharing secretes, hopes and dreams we “hated” my dad and his mom together when they gave him a hiding and liked them when they were nice.
Soon I stopped calling him the annoying kid and started calling him my stepbrother. Well that is after all what he is. I didn't visit my dad’s house that often for a while because I went to University and on weekends and holidays when everyone went home, I also went home, to my mom’s house. So for a few years we didn't see each other that much and when we did we were in a different stage in our life’s each time, luckily we were both in the "wearing black" and "heavy metal" stage at the same time, I think mainly because we had both been seriously depressed for most of our life’s. Even though we were both changed each time we saw each other, there was always some kind of common ground, we never fought or annoyed each other anymore, but always enjoyed each other’s company, sitting around the house doing nothing together.
I stopped calling him my stepbrother. The fact is he is not my stepbrother. Just typing those words makes me feel weird. I asked God for a baby brother, and God gave me a 6year old brother. I just never realized it. I never realized that brothers and sisters annoy each other, tease each other, like each other and later on realize they love each other. Fact is the annoying kid turned into someone I started liking, not because I had to, but because I actually do, then he turned into my stepbrother, and then I realized I actually love this kid, not because he is my stepbrother, but because he is my brother! The brother I always asked God for, he is the brother that I've always wanted, and always had even though I never realized it.
I remember a while ago someone told me to stop calling him my brother because he isn't, he is only my stepbrother, and I remember telling them that it doesn't mean because we don't have the same blood running through our veins that we aren't brother and sister. You don't need blood. We have something better. We have a bond. And besides the bond that we share we also share a little sister, a little sister who isn't our half-sister because my dad is her dad and his mom is her mom, she is just our sister nothing in front of sister. The reason we always had some type of common ground is because we are brother and sister with a bond that no one would ever understand, not even us.
For the first time in both our lives we actually both live in my dad-his mom our parents’ house, well more like on the same property, I live in the flat and he lives in the house, and for the first time, we see each other every day, and it’s nice. The other night he slept over at a friend’s house, and I actually missed him. I missed the, sometimes 10minute that turns into hours at other times, smoke break that we have every night.
So I dedicate this blog to my messed up dual personality, highly intelligent, always in shit, skinny ass little brother, who up until two years ago was shorter than me, but with a bang outgrew me and now I have to look up at him. I love you!!! Never expect a birthday present from me and remember I'll always have the weight advantage so watch your back!!!!!!

(This post was originally posted in 2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment